The interest in deploying solid state storage is still building, but there are already a handful of ways to introduce solid state technology into existing IT infrastructures:
• As a PCIe solid state memory card installed in a server with software to manage caching and sharing of data.
• As a caching appliance to accelerate certain applications.
• As an extended cache added to a traditional disk storage system.
• As a tier in a traditional storage system using solid state drives (SSDs) along with spinning disk drives. There may also be a traditional storage system with only SSDs installed.
• As a storage system specifically designed for all solid state, typically with solid state modules and a custom controller to manage the memory.
More on Solid State from Evaluator Group: