Note: Evaluator Group research of Storage Virtualization has been discontinued. The following Product Brief has been archived and is no longer being maintained for updates as of January 2023.
The Hitachi Virtual Storage consists of VSP systems and Hitachi Virtual Storage Block software, both with an optional feature, which will virtualize external storage and use it as another tier. With the Hitachi VSP solution, external storage is always treated as Tier 4 storage or the slowest level for the configuration.
All features of the VSP system are available with the virtualization solution. The number of host interfaces is reduced by the number of interfaces used to attach external storage. Consult the Evaluator Series Research by Evaluator Group for further details on the VSP series systems.
With the Hitachi virtualization feature, data may be migrated in the background from the external storage systems and directly accessed (pass-through mode) for data in place.
Highlights of the VSP Series include:
▪ Continuation of Hitachi VSP hardware design
▪ Embedded software Storage Virtualized Operating System (SVOS) and Virtual Storage Software Block for use with standard servers
▪ Block and file support (VSP only) with Hitachi Network Attached Storage (HNAS) under the covers (optional)—up to eight HNAS nodes in a cluster
▪ Virtualizes up to 200 external storage systems
▪ Up to 255 petabytes (PB) of external storage support
▪ Thin provisioning for external volumes, fat-to-thin conversion
▪ Automated Dynamic Tiering
▪ Solid-state drives (SSDs), Serial Attached SCSI (SAS), and Near Line-SAS (NL-SAS) devices
Hitachi VSP Virtualization Product Brief Includes:
- EvaluScale Table
- Evaluator Group’s Opinion
Download the full Product Brief now!